Opinion poll: parrot vs monkey

thinking thoughtfil thoughts in my leather armchair, I was pondering the benefits of a pirate parrot versus a hand-minion monkey as the perfect pirate shoulder accessory.
Parrot: can fetch smallish items such as keys and ripe fruit, can repeat exclaimed orders given In the heat of battle, can groom and gloss your jacket with its (gag) droppings.
Monkey: can fetch larger items such as bottles of rum and an enemies severed leg, can screech an ear-splitting warning if you're about to be surprise attacked, can throw (gag) droppings at crew members sleeping and drunk against the railings.

Any more thoughts?

Comments

• DanutercisdDanutercisd Posts: 86Member
    Parrot beats monkey by a landslide. POLLY WANTS RUM, POLLY WANTS RUM.
     Gang:TEDDYBOYS!!!  My role in the gang is to be officer, but i help recruit too. But i also help exploit glitchs to my gang(and report the too) If you want to join then look up my new post for more. or search 
    TEDDYBOYS!!!
  • GruntSmGruntSm Posts: 51Member
    I have nothing against tropical birds, disgusting one-step-above-lizards that they are, but unlike monkeys, they lack thumbs; hence inferior.
    So parrots can talk, monkeys can't 
     Gang:TEDDYBOYS!!!  My role in the gang is to be officer, but i help recruit too. But i also help exploit glitchs to my gang(and report the too) If you want to join then look up my new post for more. or search 
    TEDDYBOYS!!!
    C'mon! They don't talk 'talk', they repeat, like some kind of fluffy feathered answering machine.
    Monkeys grunt, like frat brothers. We understand each other!
    But grunt is not a language you know
    TEDDYBOYS!!!
    Yes but language is defined by a systematic use of sounds or symbols to communicate; when I scratch my fleas, my monkey brothers and sisters know exactly what I'm saying.

Yes, I have fleas.

^ that is corect sir, but you can teach a parrot a language that americans and pirates could understand
    TEDDYBOYS!!!
    "Squawk" is a language?
    If I want to bite a peanut, I'll call on a parrot.
    If I want socialization and to spend quality time in a troupe, I'll call a monkey.

Hmmm- I do love chicken though. Yummy!
  • Ida (Nitro Games)Ida (Nitro Games) Posts: 262Community Manager Nitro Games
    edited April 2015
    Haha, as a parrot hobbyist/breeder/trainer I must say that parrots are extremely social! :D They need a lot of company. But they get easily stressed and while hormonal, some species can get easily aggressive especially on breeding season. We parrot hobbyists have a saying that at least we know why the pirates with parrot on their shoulder also have the eye cover... ;D

Here's a little video of Raids of Glory's official parrot mascot that you can actually see in the game every now and then as a little Easter Egg. ;) The video was made when Raids of Glory was still in soft launch, carrying the name "Gang of Pirates". :) Pyro is doing also a little trick in the end of the video. ^^

Btw, there are actually scientific studies that you can teach a parrot somewhat the link of the word. The african grey parrot Alex was the first animal that learned to understand the word "zero" as a concept. And as zero aka "nothing" is an abstract term, this was considered as a sign of high intelligence. You can google, but here's an example:

Haha, whoops. Got a bit enthusiastic here... ;D

Anyways: I actually WOULD recommend rather a little monkey! :D Though I've heard they can be a bit tricky by nature, too.

Ok ok- I bow down before Ida's vast knowledge of birds.
    I don't have to like it though.

And I have to point out that I'm pretty sure that parrot was animatronic or a puppet or something. It just seemed unnaturally perky

...I'm just a sore loser.
    Monkeys rule!
    ...maybe I should have backed pet ferrets.
    Ferrets are great! They could bite the enemy and spray some nasty odours!
    Nasty odours! Now you're talkin Ida! See, that's close to monkeys right there.
    You're cool again in my book.

Of course, my book has very short words and pastel colored illustrations.
    "See Grunt run. Run Grunt, run"
    ...Hahaha, and this is how you know it's friday! :D
  • LanaPirateGalLanaPirateGal Posts: 12Member
    Maybe a seagull would be good! They can manage at the sea! And they are arrogant thieves! 
    True that Lana, but those feet! One foot per shoulder; it's hard to look tough with a seagull straddling your head!
  • LanaPirateGalLanaPirateGal Posts: 12Member
    edited April 2015
    The average day for the pirate seagulls. First they tease and rip - then they read books with their pirate companion.

Ooooo- gives me the creeps! Red-eyed demon birds! Ready to pluck out my one good eye! I may as well convert to Ida's parrot. At least she's got it semi civilized!